Re: bolder batteries

Subject: Re: bolder batteries
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 17:57:07
>Have you given any thought to these new Bolder thin metal film
>batteries?  See them at www.boldertmf.com.  They are the size of a
>grapefruit and put out 350 amps for starting but have limited amp hour
>capacity (1 Amp for two hours, 50 amps for 85 sec).
>I have considered using one as a starting power source but I
>would also like to have an adequate dual battery setup for a
>dual electronic ignition.

  These batteries have been around in various forms
  for about two years at least. Bill had an array of
  the little "jelly-roll" batteries in his shop just
  before OSH 97. He demonstrated a 300 amp dump
  ability for enough time to get an engine started.

  I looked at the Bolder batteries and they don't
  show a cell connection worthy of hundreds of amps
  current flow.  Bill's battery had welded intercell
  connectors and soft, braided lead wires to attach
  the battery into a system.

  Bill's interest in this product was to offer a light
  weight battery good for one start to airshow performers
  who like to leave their big battery on the ground during
  a show but might need to start the engine after
  a stopage in flight.

>What do you think of the combination of an 18 AH motorcycle
>battery and the bolder battery, switchable so that either
>battery can power either ignition?  Do you think that's
>too dicey with the limited AH capacity of the Bolder battery?

  Don't see the advantage of this combination. There are
  lots of 18 a.h. batteries that will crank an engine
  very handily without the assitance of the 2 a.h. Bolder
  battery (or it's market equal). If you were going to
  install a 2 a.h. battery as a short-term backup
  for ignition only, then there are some much less expensive
  devices that could be used since you don't need
  cranking capability from the little guy.

  For dual electronic ignition, I think I'd still recommend
  a pair of equal sized batteries with one battery a year
  shuffle as I've described in my articles. If you want to
  get weight down, how about a pair of 10 or 12 a.h. batteries
  used together for cranking? A pair of 10's would be about
  the same weight as the 18 and 2 combo you were proposing
  and cost less to maintain.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)