Re: Tailplane Layup

Subject: Re: Tailplane Layup
From: Steve Genotte <gopack@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 16:59:30
Lloyd,

Excellent tips.  Thank you.  I wasn't running any heat source near the layup,
but I do have the shop at 23 Centigrade (75 F.)  However, I only use one batch
of epoxy per layup so there's less chance of "old" epoxy getting tossed into
the mix.

BTW, as I look back I'm thinking I may have caused the cloth to pull away while
I was repairing two small raised areas.  I wasn't sure how long it took to heat
up the cloth to get it plastic, so I had my heat gun (read: hair dryer) on the
area for several minutes.  I may have transferred so much heat to the area that
I raised the forward section of glass without noticing it.  That would explain
why neither my wife nor I noticed the "long" run of raised glass until this
morning.

As for the fix, I went really low tech.  I used about a dozen wide rubber
bands, arranging most along the width of the piece and the rest stretching from
TP-6 to the leading edge of the core.  (Think of Gulliver being tied down by
the Lilliputians; same image.)  I hit the area with some heat and watched the
high spots pull down under the tension of the bands.  Once I get my replacement
syringes from Aircraft Spruce, I'll inject some epoxy into the area to fill the
small void space left behind.  It ain't perfect, but it looks like it'll fly.

Regards,

Steve "Does all this rebuilding count as putting together 2 aircraft?" Genotte