Re: Re: Charge Indicating Lamp

Subject: Re: Re: Charge Indicating Lamp
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 14:15:32
The only thing you have to watch out with LED's is to limit their current.
This is done by adding a resistor in series with the LED.

Most LED's should be limited to 20mA forward current so based on a "nominal"
13 volt electrical operating voltage the resistor required would be

                    V=IR     .....     R=V/I    ......   R = 13/.02 .....
R = 650

Going to the next highest available general series resistor you end up
putting in a 680 ohm. Even if the voltage reached 15 volts (bye bye
electrical system) the LED would still only have a forward current of 22mA.

The disadvantage with using an LED here is that LED's wash out in strong
sunlight so I would look for so called Super Bright LEDs if you want to use
them. You can steal them out of the high stop lights of many modern vehicles
:-)

Oh, it helps to get the LED the right way round as well otherwise you end up
with a DED - a Dark Emitting Diode.

Tony