List newcomer with questions

Subject: List newcomer with questions
From: Simon Miles <bs716815@skynet.be>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:22:36
Hello everyone!

My name is Simon Miles, a Brussels based UK PPL holder. I've been  a member
of the list before (some time ago) as an interested 'listener'. I now (at
last...) really have the opportunity to buy and build a Europa kit - but I
have a couple of questions...

Firstly, I've read that the Europa is a serious "going-places" aeroplane.
This suits me perfectly as touring is my main reason for flying. In terms of
getting there quickly and economically, everything I have read seems to
support the idea. But what about baggage? At the moment my girlfriend and I
use a C172 for touring and one of its benefits is that it will easily take
our two folding bikes (which are made by Brompton). I seem to remember
reading somewhere that Ivan Shaw designed the Europa to do just that - is it
true and, if so, what space is left for toothbrushes etc.? It's an important
question because my girlfriend (and I agree with her) won't entertain the
idea of travelling by 'plane if, at the end of the journey (particularly if
it is a day-trip), we're stuck at an airfield with no transport...

Secondly, does a mono-wheel Europa really need above average piloting skills
to land or just some diligent practice?

Finally, for now, the questions and answers that I have seen on this list
seem to be rather technical! Will I pick up the technicalities and jargon
(and skills) required to build a Europa as part of the "building-experience"
or is a certain degree of expertise assumed by Europa?

I apologise if these questions have been asked before (I'm sure they have,
many times..) but I hope someone can answer them.

Many thanks,

Simon Miles.