More rudder

Subject: More rudder
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 18:33:14
Message text written by Steve Genotte
>we were pretty extravagant with epoxy and there was some pretty
good overrun on both ends.  I've sanded it down to a very thin layer in
places and through to clean foam in others.<

Make up Burt Rutan's standard test piece and weigh it. 6 plies of BID on a
waxed flat surface, 12 1/2" by 18". After cure trim to an accurate 10 by
16". It should weigh between 10 1/2 and 12 Oz. and have no voids or
bubbles. Save it and make a sanding spline by adding two handles along the
short sides. It will exactly fit sheets of 3M production paper, held on by
a pair of clip board clamps on the vertical edges. It is meant to be
flexible BTW. A sheet of 1/8" rubber will help cushion the abrasive.

Graham