Fighting off the chill of Winter - Steve Genotte

Subject: Fighting off the chill of Winter - Steve Genotte
From: Gerry Holland <gnh@ddsc.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 13:01:42
Steve Hi!

Although not as cold in UK we still have unpleasant Winter weather. On
YOUR heating concerns this may not be particularly relevant to you but
may give an idea.

In my local area temperature drops to -10C occasionally, mostly -3 to
4C.

I have lined out the Workshop with thermal materials giving a 8"
equivalent of Fibre insulation all over. The Walls and ceiling are foil
covered to reflect heat and light with 6 'tubes' for lighting.
The Workshop dimensions are:

17.5' X 17.5' X 9' with 6' Split Doors.

Heating is taken care of by a Horticultural Heater producing 40,000
Btu's from a 'Pot Boiler' (no electric bits!) with mechanical
thermostat. The 'traditional' Flue/Chimney exits through the roof.
The advice came from Nigel Charles a fellow, local Europa Builder.

This Heater uses 28sec Heating Oil, the same as my home. The cost in the
UK for this Kerosene Fuel is about $180 per 1000 litres. Call it
'roughly' 68 cents per gallon.
PLEASE NOTE! check my Maths!!

I'm not sure if Houses in your US locality are heating using this type
of Oil.

The real bonus is that the Heater 'ticks over' keeping the Workshop at
around 20C all the time, Its very efficient and can quickly ramp up the
heat to 25C. As an additional standby I have a 2KW Fan heater mounted
above head height to really get it hot!

The other benefit is that humidity never rises above 60% and today, a
wet windy day its 44%.

The final bonus involves hiding the cost. The Fuel supply to Workshop is
a tee joint to Main House supply so only a combined consumption is
noticed by the 'Lady of the House'. This has not been a great increase
in consumption!

Steve, hope this is at least an idea. Any investment costs should be
based on at least a 2 year span at least, remembering that this Workshop
will be your primary location for a lot of hours!

Acceptance of my hours in the Workshop was manifested in several
Christmas presents this year!

A Radio.
A Tea/Coffee Maker
Office type Clock