Re: Shielding the "P" leads

Subject: Re: Shielding the "P" leads
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 08:07:39
>A question about shielding.
>
>The manual says the P-leads should be shielded at the switch end only. I
>have noticed production aircraft that have the shield grounded at the mag
>(to the case itself). I know not to ground at both ends or else one may
>produce a ground loop, but is there a reason to use one method over another?

   . . . I recommend that the ignition switch shields be used to
   produce a ground for the ignition switch and that the shield be
   grounded to airframe at the magneto or ignition box. Two reasons
   for this:

   (1) it insures that no ground loop currents flow in the shield
   conductor which degrades its performance as a nose attenuator.

   (2) should your crankcase jumper become disconnected and/or
   you forget to hook it back up after maintenance -AND- you
   try to crank the engine, the starter will seek a ground through
   ANY wires that might close the path between battery(-) and
   crankcase. If this happens to be your p-lead (or any other
   shields/grounds) then you get instant smoke and foul smells
   from under the instrument panel. Had two mechanics generate
   a lot of work for themselves while I owned the airport at
   Benton, KS about 10 years ago . . . not a pleasant sight.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)
       <  Independence Kansas: the     >