Re: Glass/Epoxy weight ratio

Subject: Re: Glass/Epoxy weight ratio
From: Steve Genotte <gopack@sprintmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:08:55
It's a good thing I mentioned this to the group.  Last night I was changing
the glass/goo ratio in the spreadsheet from 55/45 to 50/50 when I
discovered a major error.  Instead of the sum of my resin/hardner weight
equaling the glass weight, only the glass/resin ratio was calculated.  I
would have had too much goo at every lay-up, albeit by exactly the same
percentage each time.  (Is it less of a mistake if it's a very precise one?
<g>).

Looking ahead, the biggest problem I foresee with the spreadsheet is not
having a particular weight plotted out ahead of time.   This would require
either a quick nip to the computer/calculator, or a simple addition of two
weights whose sum equals the needed number.  Since paper's cheap, I'll
prolly have enough plotted out to make this a rare occurrence.
The other possible trip up would be a simple misreading of the sheet.  I
could easily take a bit of wood or some such and make a viewing frame;
allowing me to only see one line at a time as I slide it up and down the
page.  Maybe even epoxy in a magnifying lens to make it easier to read?  (
The eyes went long ago.)  A larger font would be simpler, but not nearly so
wizzy. :-)

As a final check, I suppose a simple ledger, into which the glass weight is
entered, then along side that the final resin/hardner weight as a record of
each lay-up, would be the best way to go.  It would be interesting to add
all those up and see how much of the aircraft's weight comes from those two
components.

I'm just babbling out loud, so comments, please.

Steve Genotte