Just a bit of info ....

Subject: Just a bit of info ....
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 10:41:27
Forgive the intrusion but somebody may be interest in this. The following
ruling came about as a result of petitions from SAANZ, AOPA and Warbirds.

FLIGHT OVER CONGESTED AREAS IN AMATEUR-BUILT AIRCRAFT

Following SAANZ's petition for rule change and, subject to successful
application to CAA, you may now be given authority to fly over any congested
area of a city, town or settlement in your amateur-built aircraft.

This does not mean that you are, literally, able to fly over any congested
area of a city, town or settlement as of right.
CAR 91.311(a) requires you to fly at a height no less than 1000 feet above
the highest obstacle and within a horizontal radius of 2000 feet of an
obstacle from the aircraft.
The rule also requires you to fly at a height that will enable you to make an
emergency landing without hazard to persons or property on the surface, in
the event of engine failure.

How do I apply to have my amateur-built aircraft approved to fly over any
congested area of a city, town or settlement?

1. Write to CAA, Civil Aviation Authority, P O Box 31-441, LOWER HUTT
enclosing the Phase 2 Operating Limitations attached to your Airworthiness
Certificate, requesting an amendment to enable you to fly over a congested
area of a city, town or settlement.

2. On receipt of your application CAA will check your aircraft file to see if
it has a history of reliability e.g engine failures resulting in forced
landings.

3. If your aircraft has an established history of reliability, a new set of
Phase 2 Operating Limitations will be raised showing that you are approved to
operate over any congested area of a city, town or settlement. The amended
Phase 2 Operating Limitations will then be returned to you by post.

4. There will be a fee for this service and I have been assured by CAA that
it will be kept to a minimum.

Note: Until your Phase 2 Operating Limitations have been re-issued by CAA you
are NOT PERMITTED to fly over a congested area of a city, town or settlement
as this is a specific Limitation on the existing document.

Microlight owners and operators must note that this amendment does not allow
them to fly over a congested area of a city, town or settlement and the
prohibition applying to microlight aircraft in CAR 103.155(b)(1) still
applies.

We feel that this is a major development in the acceptance that amateur
constructed aircraft do actually belong in mainstream aviation.

Tony

Tony Krzyzewski    tonyk@kaon.co.nz
Managing Director  Ph 64 9 520 4631
Kaon Technologies  Fx 64 9 520 3321