Forwarded mail Note re. Flap setup

Subject: Forwarded mail Note re. Flap setup
From: Gerry Holland <gnh@ddsc.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 20:01:39
Re: Flap Setup

I seem to remember a long time ago that this question came up but Im
not sure it was ever resolved.

The offset flap cross-tube/flap actuating rod (biased towards the
starboard (right) side of centreline) seems to result in the port (left)
flap not quite reaching the fully up position - pulled down it seems by
the weight of the outrigger leg which does not have an uplock. The
starboard flap is fine.

Now Im not talking much - just 1/8th inch or so at the trailing edge
but I have incorporated wing fillet extensions which blends in the flaps
to the fuselage in traditional style (which it turns out is more for
looks thanaerodynamic cleanliness according to some who have tufted
their fuselages to see the effect) so the slight difference in
retraction is more noticable.

Did we ever find a way of stopping the flexing/twisting (made worse no
doubt by 2 or 3g turns pulling the outrigger leg down further) or will
thelanding gear bungee help to even out the balance? Its far easier to
put the flaps down than to raise them at this stage so presumably you
will bias the landing gear bungee accordingly.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Regards

Martin Tuck

There is a partial uplock on the outriggers caused by the top of the OR4
rubbing against the bottom of the OR6.  Incidentally it will be
necessary to file a small slot in the wing rear close out to provide
clearance for the OR4 - this is not mentioned in the earlier versions of
the Builders Manual.  Dont file the top of the OR4, though, or you will
lose the uplock feature.

Regards,

Roger Bull

Gerry Holland