Re: Re: do it yourself strobes . . .

Subject: Re: Re: do it yourself strobes . . .
From: Fillinger@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 21:14:45
On 8/10, Bob Nuckolls wrote --

>   Given that FAR23 requirements do not apply to amateur built
>   airplanes, I think a 150W halogen lamp pertched on top
>   of your vertical fin under a baby food jar might impress
>   your inspector enough to get you signed off. You have
>   a strong precedent in the Cessna experience. Plan on
>   needing the dummy load to keep the system voltage from
>   pulsing when this size lamp is flashed.

Just the very question I was researching before I logged on.  FAR 23
does not apply, yes, but other regs do.  You can't homebrew your own ELT, as
it must meet the TSO.  FAR 91 specificies "approved" anticollision lighting,
and I'm wondering if the FAA would use this to insist on approved systems
only.  Possibly the rule is they will fuss over things which affect the
"system," and anticollision lights (and psotiion lights) have to be seen by
other
aircraft.  Anyone have an authoritative answer here?

Regards to all,
Fred Fillinger, A063