Re: sticking starter contactors

Subject: Re: sticking starter contactors
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 17:25:15

>Had a starter solonoid engage in flight about 20-30 min after takeoff
while on
>an ILS approach in MVFR/IFR. First indication was the radios went to heck.

   Contactor sticking is not a spontaneous activity . . . in the situation
   cited, I'll bet a steak dinner to a donut that the contactor stuck
   at the time the engine was started and continued until noticed by the
   pilot when the alternator (40-60 amps) and battery (25 a.h.) lost the
   tug-of-war with a powered up but free wheeling starter motor (60-100A?)
   and things went black . . . . A starter engaged light is SOOOoooooo simple
   to add, why not have one? Alternatively, adequate instrumentation
   of the electrical system would have revealed (1) bus voltage low
   because total loads exceeded the output capability of the alternator
   and/or (2) alternator output -or- battery ammeter pegged against the
   charg'n real hard stop for the duration of the flight.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)
       <   If you continue to do       >