Tri-Gear Europa

Subject: Tri-Gear Europa
From: Duncan MacFadyean <HalcrowMRO@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 08:13:39
Message text written by Jef
>Good day to you all
I think I heard or read some months ago that someone in Britain is building
his own version of a main landing gear ( legs ) using composite material (
carbon fiber or kevlar ) .

Has anyone more specific information on this, and where to find this
builder<

As others have , partially, pointed out, there is under independent
development in the UK a fixed conventional gear which uses a reinforced
(for the additional weight of the Europa) Ban-Bi carbon single-piece leg.
Two Swiss builders have already made this mod.

As I understand it, problems are being encountered with the UK version in
providing sufficient reinforcement of the fuselage sides where the loads
are now picked up.

Not sure whether carbon is the right material; it behaves more like steel
and has very little inherent damping as opposed to glass. Cost of the
Ban-Bi spring alone is about =A3800 as a consequence of all the carbon in it.
The Swiss conversions save about 9lbs weight in total when compared to the
monowheel.

Duncan McFadyean