Re: Electric CSU laws

Subject: Re: Electric CSU laws
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 11:23:00
>The big problem on constant speed units is to get them stable. Arplast
>developed one for their VP prop but I believe it tended to hunt. Too many
>variables perhaps. When the pitch changes for example the load on the
>engine changes so the mixture changes so the output changes so the prop is
>no longer set as it thought it was and so on.
>
>Arplast are looking at a new idea.
>
>The MT controller appears to work satisfactorily suggesting that the
>solution does exist.
>
>Jerry

   Used to rent an old Bonanza with and electric propeller. It had
   an "auto" mode that was flakey from time to time but quite
   manageable in the manual mode.  It took a little more fiddling
   but we pilots really like all those busy looking knobs to twist
   on.  If the prop works well as an adjustable device and has
   a manual mode, I don't think I'd dicount it's usefulness on the
   airplane because the automatic feature leaves something to be
   desired . . . see if you can order the thing sans auto-controller.

      Bob . . .
      AeroElectric Connection

                     ////
                    (o o)