Electric Flaps

Subject: Electric Flaps
From: Edward Gladstone <TedGladstone@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 18:28:24
Andy wrote:-
>Ted
 >  As soon as the end of the slot in OR5 contacts the bolt through the
flap
>hinge plate the outriggers are beginning the de-latch. If you keep
>outriggers and flaps together then you'll need the full 25-27 degrees for
>both T/O and landing.

If the slot in OR5 was elongated forward it looks as if the flaps would
come up further before the outriggers would start to de-latch.   This,
however, would mean that the outriggers no longer retracted fully to the
horizontal position.  To rectify this it looks as if the end hole, for
pivoting OR4, in the outrigger leg top fitting OR1 would have to be moved
closer to its main pivot hole.     This reduction in moment arm would
increase the forces in the latching arm OR4, which would need to be
strengthened.    Which would mean that the latching block - - - - - - .
Which would mean that - - - - . Which would mean - - - - - .     Why the
H*** did I start this mod??

Ain't life a bitch!!

Somewhat similar to our latest Torque Tube mod 46 in which the previous,
apparently perfect, solution of replacing the bearing with a self aligning
bearing to prevent the flexing, and possible fatigue fracture, of the
support bracket: has led to the flexing of the diaphragm in the end cap and
its eventual fracture.   Obvious in hindsight ----- but aren't they all!!
    Anyway I don't feel so bad about doing it now.

Ted