Re: Europa mail general posting - control stiffness

Subject: Re: Europa mail general posting - control stiffness
From: RonSwinden <RonSwinden@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 18:03:37
Hi Graham   the coeficient of linear expansion of ali is around 23. I think
you then need the coeficient of glass fibre rather than  tufnol. Glass is
almost 9   and the linear expansion of ali is .0128 thousands of an inch per
degree farenheight per inch length but I am afraid I do not have a figure for
a cured fibre glass matrix to hand.
Guessing at 20" length and a 60 degree temp change would give about a 15thou
change less  about 7 thou for the change in the glass  would mean that the
thrust bearing  faces would have moved in about 8 or 10 thou which could I
think be expected to give a problem especially if the bearings were carefully
fitted in a nice warm workshop. Aint life a bitch sometimes???? Ron S No 33