sound deadening

Subject: sound deadening
From: Veritas Tools Inc. <veritasrd@leevalley.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 09:11:48

Dialed into your site basically by accident.  Although I have never worked
on sound deadening for small aircraft (I think that's what you are working
on?) I have done some design work on office partitions.  We were able to
acchieve an NRC (noise reduction coefficient) of 0.8 with kraft paper
honeycomb faced with 1/8" thick fiberglass sheeting.  This material is
fairly stiff, dimensionally stable, and has some fire-retardent
characteristics due to the fiberglass (although the kraft paper core would
probably burn very well).  As stated above, I have no experience with
aircraft, so you'll have to do your own testing.  Here in Canada, we get
the honeycomb from Hexacomb.

I was searching for damping mechanisms for work-bench table-tops, in order
to deaden the work-surface for carving mallet work.  All the typical
dampers and vibration mounts we have tried so far are isolators, and do not
have the characteristics we want.  Our most successful test so far has been
with small ballons filled with fine sand-blasting sand, but this is by no
means a production solution.  If anyone there has any ideas about this
problem, we would greatly appreciate hearing from you.  Our address is:
        Veritas Tools Inc.
        Attn. Steven K. Jones
        Ottawa, Ont. Canada
        veritasr&d@leevalley.com