Re: New cowlings and other stuff

Subject: Re: New cowlings and other stuff
From: Martin J.Tuck <102034.2747@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 22:12:56
Re: New cowlings and other stuff

I was in the UK last week on vacation and journeyed up to Kirkbymoorside to
(hopefully) see the new cowlings before they were shipped off to Oshkosh.

I'm at the stage when I am about to embark on engine installation and wanted to
see if it was worth waiting for the new 914/912 firewall forward kit which
includes the new shaped cowlings.

The factory were very obliging (my thanks again to them) and I hung around long
enough to see the parts arrive. The cowlings are very remenisant of the Subaru
installation but with a deeper inlet on the underside. The new 914 installation
(less cowlings) was on the XS prototype at Wombleton which I also got a chance
to look at. The major advantage as far as I could see - apart from the rounder,
narrower -  more streamlined shape with less frontal area, was that the
radiators (both water and oil) were all attached to the engine so you can do all
your engine tests without both upper and lower cowlings attached.

The two holes at the front are for the cold air for the carbs I think.

For me, wanting to install a Warp Drive Variable Pitch Prop, the smaller spinner
size will mean a match for this model of spinner - although  the new 'standard'
spinner is rather curiously shaped like a bishops miter (spelling?) - bulging
out slightly at about 1/3rd of its length from the base. Looked a bit odd to me
but will probably look OK once the prop is fitted.

The factory has completed the 914 installation kit. I'll have to wait 2 or 3
more months for the 912 installation kit - but it will be worth it.

My impressions of the XS cockpit were that most of the features (sculptured
center tunnel and increased baggage area, could be retrofittable. I might do my
baggage area in a 'revamp' in a couple of years - you gain about 12 inches with
a flat floor and access hatches to the battery etc.

The increased wingspan I couldn't see although it is about 1 foot increase each
side. The ailerons are slightly narrower chord and presumably longer. The
pre-moulded wings are very well thought out and manufactured - I would imagine
few pounds lighter too. They also feature the benefit of moulded tips and I
think moulded flaps too.

The gel-coat fuselage is very nicely done but I suspect just as much filling
will be required along the join lines, around the screens and doors that the
gel-coat will end up getting a rub down for subsequent painting. I would also
imagine the wings needing a slight rub down for keying the primer prior to
painting.

I liked the fin as part of the fuselage moulding - presumably the fin closeout
is also premoulded as I found this to be the most difficult layup with gravity
working against you  - and bid which always seems to have a mind of its own!

I wouldn't have missed building the foam wings for anything - I enjoyed the
building experience - but I'm not sure I would want to build another set again
-
I certainly hope the glider wings are manufactured this way.

I think the whole lot will arrive for Oshkosh next week. Should create a great
deal of positive interest at the show.

Regards

Martin Tuck
Wichita, Kansas