Re: Variable pitch propellers

Subject: Re: Variable pitch propellers
From: Melvin Cross <mcross@aerodev.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 15:17:03
With reference to the NSI and Arplast VP props - I have now flown 7
aircraft ( 4 Europas , a KIS, Kitfox 5 and an RV6) fitted with the NSI
prop. and must admit that I do not find the work load greatly increased
over the fixed pitch prop.
Most of my flying with the VP prop. has been in Europas fitted with the NSI
EA-81 engine and apart from greatly reduced take off run and increased rate
of climb, the other major benifit is cruising at much lower engine speeds (
typically 3800 rpm @ 130 kts) which equates to much lower fuel burn ( 3.9
gal/hr), lower noise level, better cooling, less engine wear and less pilot
fatigue.
The NSI VP prop. has reverse (Beta) facility as standard but for the Europa
we fit a  Fine pitch stop set to allow the engine to pull max. power rpm in
the climb, ie. 5800 rpm for the Rotax 912 and 5600 rpm for the NSI EA-81.

Normal operating procedures are to set fully fine pitch for take off.
 After take off - gear/flaps up and increase pitch to reduce rpm to around
5000 for climb out ( or leave fully fine if max. climb performance is
required).
When level at required altitude increase the pitch to fully coarse ( 25
degrees Rotax,  30 degrees NSI)  as the aircraft accelerates and regulate
the speed with throttle as with a fixed pitch prop.
The pitch is reset to fully fine during the landing checks as with a
C/Speed prop. in case of a missed approach.
The prop.is controlled by either a switch on the panel and/or buttons on
the MAC stick grips.
Performance with the 100hp EA-81 is as  follows:

Top speed :       140 Kts +

Cruise speed :   130 Kts @ 4000 rpm - 3.9 gal/hr
                        120 Kts @ 3700 rpm - 3.3 gal/hr

R.O.C.:             1200 ft/min  (solo)
                        1000 ft/min  (1370 lbs)

Take off run :     150 m  (solo)
                        200 m  (1370 lbs)

If anyone has further questions, I will be pleased to help.

Ivan has tested most of the available VP props. on the market so is able to
give an unbiased opinion.

Melvin Cross

----------
> From: Jerry <jerry@flyinghi.demon.co.uk>
> Subject: Variable pitch propellers
> Date: 13 July 1997 21:53
>
> As a main player you all should know my position.
> Etiquette means I shouldn't advertise and indeed I don't want to.
> Not here anyway, but I would like to pass on what little knowledge I
have.

> I note Bill said the VP greatly increased cockpit workload.
> I actually flew behind the Arplast VP for the first time at Cranfield.
(on