Re: All This Bl...dy Undeliv!!!!

Subject: Re: All This Bl...dy Undeliv!!!!
From: Moira Millar <moira@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 07:47:40
Hello Everyone,

>Welcome to the world of mailing lists.
>
>Yes, Avnet can delete the guy off the list and I am sure somebody has already

>asked them to do that.

Yes, of course he has been deleted.

>The reason we all get the bounced mail is that the receiving mail system can
>only send the failed delivery message to the sender, in this case
>europa@avnet.co.uk. Because europa@avnet.co.uk is set up as a mail list
>server it automatically sends the failed message to everyone of us on the
>list!

Most ISPs have their sendmail software set to return bounced mail to the
owner of the list.  I receive dozens of these messages every day, address to
owner-europa, etc.  This one erroneously sent the reply as Tony says, back
to the list - aargh....!

>For some real fun, from my list of how to drive internet users mad, you
>should get two mail sites that do this to each other repeatedly. Then the non

>delivery messages go up exponentially and eventually kill both mail systems.
>Keeps sysadmins busy for hours when that happens :-)

Sorry if this drove all of you crazy.

Moira
        | moira@avnet.co.uk
      -+-        | http://www.avnet.co.uk