The balancing act

Subject: The balancing act
From: Gramin@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 10:00:45
In the Europa the passengers are  forward of the c.of g, (cog)  while  the
fuel and the baggage are well aft, the numbers being -4, 16 and 28
respectively (from a  nominal 60"). While any particular set of conditions is
easy to calculate it is more instructive to run a program which will explore
the limits.  The first thing that turns up is that it is virtually impossible
to get out of limits in the forward direction  (-2) with passenger load.
 Indeed the reverse is true, i.e. it is easy to have too low a passenger
weight, and the fuel pushes you out of the aft limit (2.5). So you may have
to collect a passengers or bags of cement to put full fuel aboard.  The same
goes for baggage only more so, as it is further aft.  You need more
passenger/ballast in the right hand seat to get maximum fuel and baggage.
 This is eased somewhat if you have a heavy fit of instruments for they can
substitute for passenge/ballast, being even further forward.  You will know
this as soon as you complete the weighing, as your cog will probably then be
found to be less than 60 from datum.

As I have yet to fit anything heavy on the instrument side, my cog is already
nearing the 61 specified as the aft limit for first flight. Which means I can
load very little fuel for it, even if there is a crew of two !.  Sandbags on
the feet ?

Grinding out tables of numbers also shows that max. a.u.w. weight only limits
first.

Perhaps all this is obvious to those flying but I would recommend  wriiting a
suitable progam, as there are some constants specific to each aircraft to be
fed  in, before the correct conclusions can be drawn. Anyone is welcome to
mine if they are too busy building.

Graham C.