Re: Ground handling

Subject: Re: Ground handling
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 19:19:38
>> Braking didn't seem to good, but maybe some air yet to be removed.<<

Yes, it is awkward to bleed the brake master cylinder, the barrel of the master
is higher than the bleed hole. You could raise the tail to bring it level, or
remove the screws holding it and do it that way from underneath. The way I have
done it is to remove the bleed/filler screw, slowly pull the brake handle back
until all the bubbles have escaped, then top up from a syringe while
simultaneously releasing the brake lever slowly enough to match the fill rate.
Replace the fill screw. The brake will then be quite solid.
Our parking brake (credit Jon Tye) is a simple snail cam which holds the brake
on. No expensive Matco hydraulic valves which can develop leaks and fail. The
position of the snail cam also gives an indication of brake pad wear.
Graham