Re: Fuel Flow

Subject: Re: Fuel Flow
From: Graham E Laucht <graham@ukavid.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 00:09:51
In message <3321D69E.4682@post4.tele.dk>, "Streit, Jan"
<j_streit@post4.tele.dk> writes
>I have used a Zemco driving control unit, in my car for years,
>unfortunatly it it not availabel from the old supplier, was made in
>TAiwan, and to day a lot of autpilots for cars are made by same company,
>which i cant find.
>I would totalise, km/ liters how lon you could go on what was left, and
>ETA and a lot more.
>If anyone can help with this on some thing similar I would be most
>pleased.

A possibility is to go searching for the fuel flow sensor that was
fitted to some models of that eighties icon of red bracered man the BMW
3 series. Now appearing in a scrap yard near you.

The one to look for had all the extra bells and whistles that elevated a
mere taxi to cult status and had the magical dial beneath the
speedometer that showed how ecologicaly you were driving.
In bracered man's case this was demonstrated by how far the needle could
be made to point to the right, it's degree being in direct proportion to
the mass of brain shifted to the right foot.

You need to follow back the fuel line from the engine bay toward the
tank and look for a "brick" which contains the sensor. It has a couple
of lines attached, one is a +12V feed to a LED, another is ground and a
third which is the output from photodiode. The output needs sharpening
up via a Shmitt trigger and I have seen quite passable displays made
using simple bicycle odometers, the sort where the pulse count can be
varied to make a sensible display.

Don't bother with trying to recover the "computer" as this was nothing
more than a pulse integrator at best.

Who knows you might even find the obligatory coat hanger still attached
to the rear passenger's grab handle.

--
Graham E Laucht