Flight System Reliability

Subject: Flight System Reliability
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <72770.552@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 13:15:26
                    Aircraft Electrical Systems:
                    a Philosophy for Reliability

I  have presented numerous forums at Oshkosh, EAA  chapter  meetings
and kit type gatherings around the country on the topic of  electri-
cal  system reliability. This is a prominent issue on most  aircraft
builder's list of concerns for several reasons:  First, the electri-
cal  system is generally the least understood of all  airplane  sys-
tems.  Second, some electrical system components are useful (if  not
critical) to safe termination of flight during an electrical  system
failure.

I  will  often begin a presentation with questions to  the  audience
about  their own ideas for achieving reliable operation.   It's  not
surprising  to find heavy emphasis on quality (cost)  of  components
and workmanship. Nearly every magazine on electrical system fabrica-
tion or installation will list tasks to be accomplished or  mistakes
to be avoided in the interest of producing a reliable installation.

Reliability discussions often include matters of cost,  convenience,
and  perceptions founded on incomplete or inaccurate data. For  this
article  to arrive at its intended conclusion, let us agree  that  a
reliable  flight  system permits comfortable termination  of  flight
(preferably at the intended destination) irrespective of any  single
failure of a system component.

It's  easy  to  visualize a situation where one  airplane  owner  is
always  doing  some kind of work on his airplane but  seems  to  fly
where  he  wants when he wants without mishap.  Contrast  this  with
another pilot who suffers maintenance conditions causing repairs off
his  home  base. Worse yet, his problems may  precipitate  unplanned
arrivals  with  the  earth!  These airplanes may  be  identical  and
experience the same problems. Never-the-less, when compared with the
other, one of these aircraft might be perceived very unreliable.

I've  often asked groups of pilots and builders to prioritize  their
personal flight system reliability requirements.  The first  consen-
sus is that airframe failures of any type are not tolerable;  design
goals  require  an airframe to withstand normal operations  with  an
expectation  of zero failures.  Airframe systems include  structure,
skin, gear, flight controls, etc.  Second on most everyone's list is
the  power  plant  which would include engine,  prop,  fuel  system,
ignition, etc.  The electrical system usually comes in third.  Under
electrical  systems, people tend to jump on radios as "most  desira-
ble."

Consider please my personal list:
I. Airframe
     (1) Structure
     (2) Flight Controls
     (3) Flight Instruments
          (a) Airspeed
          (b) Turn Coord.
          (c) Compass
          (d) Altimeter
          (e) Gyros
          (f) etc.
     (3) Gear
     (4) etc.
II. Pilot/Builder
     (1) Skills
     (2) Knowledge
     (3) Health
III. Power Plant
     (1) Engine
     (2) Prop
     (3) Ignition
     (4) Fuel System
     (5) etc.
IV. Electrical System
     (1) Battery
     (2) Instrument Lights
     (3) Turn Coordinator
     (4) Engine Support (boost pumps . .
          etc.)
     (5) Nav/ILS/Comm
     (6) Transponder (optional)
     (7) Landing Light
     (8) Alternator
     (9) Position and Strobe Lights
     (10) Stereo System

Note  that I have added the pilot and his/her "subsystems" at II  on
the list.  First, consider that when everything thing else (lower on
the  list) has gone belly-up, an adequately trained  and  proficient
pilot has an excellent chance of living to tell the grand-children a
true  life, wing-and-a-prayer survival story!  The pilot's tool  box
must  contain  knowledge  and skills along with a  body  capable  of
utilizing  them.  Note also that electrical systems  and  components
thereof  are  a distant fourth place on the list.  Other  items  are
conspicuous by their absence.  Note that engine instrumentation  and
fuel gauges are not even on the list.  I know of no immediate hazard
to flight posed by failure of these kinds of devices. I do not imply
that  electrical systems need not be reliable. I just want to  place
them  in  proper perspective with respect to other  flight  systems.
Further,  I  do  emphasize a pilot's very important  position  as  a
component in the total flight system.

Your  personal list may vary from mine as well it should,   provided
you  have  a rational basis for development along  different  lines,
unique to your assets.  One goal of this article is to suggest tools
for  development  of your own reliability priorities  list.   Accom-
plishment  requires knowledge of personal needs and skills  combined
with  an intimate familiarity with your airplane's systems and  per-
formance  envelopes.  This, ladies and gentlemen, is what  separates
us from Pilot John Public who has become bored with scuba diving and
decides  it would be nice to add flying to his recreational  activi-
ties.

As  builder/pilots we are permitted alternate approaches to  systems
design.   Powers-that-be  recognize that a majority  of  Pilot  John
Public will never be as  familiar  with their airplanes as  you  are
with  yours!  The inference to be drawn suggests that  our  personal
flight  systems are automatically more reliable.  I would  say  it's
true to a point.  It's a sure bet that most of us do understand more
about  airplanes than the general pilot population; after  all  it's
our avocation, perhaps even vocation.

Consider  that  most of us learned to fly in  certified,  production
airplanes.  We are not permitted to modify these airplanes,  they're
accepted  as-is.  Furthermore, these machines were  certified  under
rules giving Pilot John Public the best possible chances of survival
knowing that for some, piloting skills (from the systems  viewpoint)
will not advance beyond manipulation of levers and knobs.

Since  most of us learned to fly in the padded-cockpit  environment,
it  is  possible that we bring detrimental attitudes  with  us  into
amateur-built aviation. For example: existence of a pilot's  operat-
ing  handbook with mandated topics is intended to afford great  com-
fort  as we launch into the blue. By federal decree,  everything  we
must know about that airplane is between covers of the book!  If you
can  recite  emergency procedures,  performance  and  weight/balance
calculations  in your sleep, your spouse and offspring may wave  you
off  wearing broad smiles.  These attitudes have been  mulched  into
fertile  soil for the plaintiff bar. "Well now, Mr. Cessna,  explain
to this court and jury why you didn't . . . . ."

The  most  important  attribute to be cultivated  in  amateur  built
aviation  is the ability to think beyond the present in  considering
all  "what-if?"  scenarios.  Yeah, I know, as students we  were  all
admonished  to  "stay ahead of the airplane," that's  not  what  I'm
talking  about.   What-if's I am considering relate  to  pieces  and
parts  of  the airplane.  For example: when building,  modifying  or
just maintaining any part of your airplane, operate two progressions
of  thought.   The first involves doing a quality job on a  task  at
hand. The second is, "what if this part fails?"  Go over the ways in
which  the  part  may fail and deduce whether  or  not  any  failure
presents a hazard to successful termination of flight.  Analyze  how
the  failure will manifest itself to the pilot (handling  qualities,
strange noises, engine roughness, dead radio, etc. etc.) And  final-
ly, is the failure pre-flight detectable?

While designing products for the big guys, I've expended hundreds of
hours going over these points. The fancy name for this procedure  is
Failure  Mode  Effects Analysis or FMEA for short.  If  any  failure
does  present a hazard, what is the best means for dealing with  it?
Re-design may be in order.  Example: if the head of a  broken  screw
is  likely  to  drop into an intake manifold, perhaps  a  nut  plate
installed to bring the screw in from the other side is in order.  If
a  failure is not pre-flight detectable, is the item is  buried  too
deep to visually inspect or simply not on your check list?

                                 Note:

   Whether you fly factory or home-built airplanes, published  check
   lists  are the MINIMUM to meet bureaucratic and/or  institutional
   requirements.  Nobody says you cannot EXPAND an existing list  to
   cover items you'd like to peek at before launch time.

Let's  suppose  failure of an item simply makes  some  component  or
system  inoperative.   Can you do without it?  If not,  what  system
backs it up?  In other words, develop a "plan B" perhaps even  "plan
C" to back up most needed components and systems.

This  technique is applicable to all airframe systems but let's  get
back to the original topic of electrical systems.  Referring to  the
list  I gave earlier, let us agree that if the airframe is  in  good
shape, engine is running well, you are skilled, rested and ate  your
Wheaties  this morning, there's no reason for this to become  a  bad
day in the cockpit.  Let's examine the electrical system  priorities
in my earlier list:

Numero uno is the battery; your single most reliable source of power
(assuming  the  battery has been properly maintained).   Next  comes
instrument  lights.   Why lights?  Recall the  admonition:  "Aviate,
navigate,   then  communicate?"  "Aviating" at night becomes  a  jaw
breaking  chore of aiming a flashlight with your  teeth.  Therefore,
number two on my list is instrument flood lighting.  I would  choose
not  to power up a 3-amp string of post lights. Instead, use one  or
two,  80-milliamp bulbs rigged to flood the panel with basic  light-
ing.   Instrument lights on a C-150 are just that.  Not elegant  but
they work, consume little power and don't make your lower jaw  ache.
Flashlights  are good only for peering into fuel tanks  and  reading
maps!

Number three is the turn-coordinator; quite often your only electri-
cally driven flight instrument and capable of literally saving  your
buns (you ARE current in needle, ball and airspeed technique,  no?).

Fourth,  I  would  support any electrical item needed  to  keep  the
engine  running  such as electronic ignition (if you have  one)  and
fuel  boost pump.  Putting these devices on the list of  "essential"
equipment recognizes a remote possibility of double failure . . . an
electrical system condition followed by an engine condition.

Aha!  We finally get to THE radio; not the whole 20 kilo-buck  stack
of  avionics. Remember, we're trying to get home on a  power  budget
with  finite limits. It does you little credit to navigate to  final
approach fix with millimeter precision and have everything  go  dark
over the outer marker!  Until favorable outcome of your adventure is
assured,  don't  turn on anything you don't truly NEED.  See  why  a
PILOT  must  included in a systems reliability equation?   A  better
understanding or a little practice may be key to reducing a  hazard-
ous situation to a challenging inconvenience.

The transponder I list as optional.  Recall that it is more a  serv-
ice to ATC than it is to you.  It benefits you only if you need  ATC
assistance  in navigating which assumes he isn't tracking you  as  a
primary target.  Even then, the transponder doesn't do you any  good
if  you're  not talking to the ground and it uses much  more  energy
than  your navigation receiver.  However, if you do have  the  power
budget, a 7600 or 7700 squawk may get you more elbow room.

Landing  light is another optional consideration.  If you're  headed
for  an unlighted field or you haven't honed your skills  for  night
landings  without  light,  then illuminating a  landing  light  just
before you flare is justified (Consider your own personal FMEA, what
will you do if the bulb is out?).

Next is the alternator because it has to be running if you're  going
to have any external lights on.  [Assume the alternator to be  least
reliable of all electrical equipment.  It handles lots of electrical
and  mechanical  power, it sees extremes of temperature  cycles  and
gets  its itty-bitty diodes rattled by being bolted to  the  engine!
What  else could we do to it?]  Nav lights use more ENERGY than  any
other  system  in your airplane including landing  lights,  electric
flaps  or landing gear!  Six to eight amps continuous drain for  the
duration  of  flight. Even a strobe light may draw  more  than  your
entire compliment of necessary radios.  External lights do not  help
you get where you are going and have a very low probability of being
useful  for being seen. If YOU have the problem and YOU  are  flying
"dark",  then  keep your own eyes peeled for the guy  who  presently
enjoys a luxury of showing external lights!

Now  that  I've outlined one philosophy  of  electrical  essentials.
Let's consider the hammer-and-tongs aspects of implementing it.

In  Figure 1, (see February 93 issue of Sport Aviation or  drop  32-
cent  SASE to address below. I'll be happy to send you a paper  copy
of the figure.) I show a basic power distribution diagram illustrat-
ing  the  foregoing  text.  To begin with, if we've  done  our  FMEA
exercise,  a way is needed to KNOW when the alternator  has  failed.
If no device already exists to give an active warning of  alternator
failure then consider a low voltage warning light mounted prominent-
ly  on the panel. Further, this device should be set  to  illuminate
the  light  very soon after alternator failure; when  voltage  falls
below 13 volts.

When the light does come on, you have several options:  If  comfort-
able  haven is close by and your battery is a known  quantity,  then
perhaps no special action is needed other than to turn the  alterna-
tor  off to reduce its field circuit load on the battery.  It  would
be wise at this time to dump unnecessary loads but a fairly  relaxed
activity to get on the ground is appropriate.  Most alternators  re-
quire  a battery to be on line for voltage stabilization  and  noise
reduction.   If  (for a variety of reasons)  the  battery  contactor
fails  to  keep the battery on line, the alternator should  be  shut
down and ordinary load reductions made.

In event of either alternator OR battery contactor failure, AND if a
desired location for landing is some distance away, make the most of
finite  energy  stored in the battery.  Open both BATTERY  MASTER  &
ALTERNATOR  switches.  Pull the ESSENTIAL BUS  PRIMARY FEED  breaker
and  close  the ESSENTIAL  BUS  ALTERNATE FEED breakers.   Taking  a
battery  contactor off-line reduces load on the battery  by  several
hundred  milliamps  (equal to several solid state  nav  receivers!).
Setting  the breakers in this manner isolates the essential bus  and
provides  a  direct path to the battery. If a voltmeter is  part  of
your  electrical instrumentation, it should feed from the  essential
bus; battery voltage should be monitored during battery only  opera-
tions.

Figure  1 illustrates a number of departures from traditional  tech-
niques for aircraft power distribution. The most notable variant  is
the  lack  of an AVIONICS MASTER, a device who's time has  gone  by.
This  (and other features) will be topics for future  articles.   In
the  mean time, if you subscribe to the avionics master switch  phi-
losophy,  certainly all avionics may be fed from the  essential  bus
and "protected" by opening the  PRIMARY  FEED  breaker during engine
cranking. Just  remember,  when  battery  life needs to be maximized,
turn OFF everything  not  truly needed to get you home.

All this writing may seem like a long way around to a rather  simple
concept.   I suggest that it's truly simple only if one  understands
how  it is used and useful only if it adequately addresses  require-
ments established by personal FMEA studies.  Primary goals for  this
article  are  (1)  to encourage builder/pilots  to  accomplish  FMEA
studies in light of their equipment and personal skills, (2) relieve
pressure  to purchase the most expensive components in an effort  to
improve  "reliability", (3) encourage design for  failure  tolerance
(cheap)  instead of striving for failure proof (very  expensive  and
nearly  impossible).  Properly implemented,  these  techniques  will
reduce  to near zero, probability that any electrical  problem  will
ruin your day.

The  original article text was uploaded without modification.  Since
the  article  was published, conversations  and  deliberations  with
other designers and builders have modified the philosophy  somewhat.
We  now believe that the normal feedpath from main bus to  essential
bus  should include a diode that *prevents* the essential  bus  from
backfeeding  the main bus. Poor pilot technique during  a  perceived
emergency  could result in inadverted overloading of  essential  bus
alternate feed path and leaving one totally in the dark!  Given that
the  original need for avionics master switches disappeard about  15
years  ago, the idea of making a solid connection between  main  bus
and  essential bus via diode makes sense.  Any time the main bus  is
hot, the essential bus is too. The main bus can be shut down at  any
time to conserve finite battery energy with zero risk of backfeeding
---From the essential bus and blowing the altnernate feed protection.

Comments and discussion are welcome!

    Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection