Flap and aileron cores

Subject: Flap and aileron cores
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 10:21:18
Perhaps those before me can help out.... (especially those with recent
experience -ie wing kits around the #250+ mark)

I've been setting out the flap and aileron jig blocks, ready to lay up the
parts. RH flaps are OK, except that there appears to be very little washout.
LH flap blocks are all over the place: miss matched, needing a wedge removed
to align them to each other, plus variable washout... so I have jigged the
blocks so that I have a progressive 1 degree washout through the flaps as
measured with a digital level on the bottom surface.

Then, checking the aileron cores (jig blocks glued to a dead flat surface)
on the top surface, I find I have around 1.6 degrees of washout on each
aileron... As the ailerons have the same "error", I'm wondering if I have
missed something -such as part of the change in angle being due to a change
in chord/thickness ratio going outboard.

Any comments?

Cheers,

Miles