Pip Pin Covers

Subject: Pip Pin Covers
From: David Watts <dwatts@ns1.avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 19:36:29
Whilst I have been away skiing, there has been some discussion regarding the
various alternative Pip Pin covering options. One of the final suggestions
was to use a white tape as per used on gliders. I cannot fault the
simplicity and cheapness of this method, but IMHO it does lack one
ingredient, that of peace of mind through redundancy, i.e. if the pips fail
in the pins, the more elaborate type of cover will stil retain the pins.
I suggested some time ago (but did not elaborate on) the use of plastic
water pipes and screw fittings as available in most hardware stores,
suitably turned in a lathe to make them flush fittings. The most commonly
available type is 1.5inch or 40mm. This will need the top mouldings of the
plug turned down and some of the circumference. The female part will also
need its top inside edge recessed to allow the plug inside.
The fitting can then be set into the tailplane, offset in relation to the
pip pin, which will allow a smaller (keyring) ring to be left on the pin.
To remove the cap I made a tool which is a short length of .5inch dowel,
groved each side at the bottom to accept two short lengths of 1/16inch wire,
which is bound with cotton and covered with 5 min epoxy. Two holes are then
drilled in the cap to match the tool and you then have a nice, lightweight,
flush pip pin cover. A couple of spare opening tools can be made up and put
on the keyring or in the headrest hole, etc. (An alternative tool could be
made from a piece of sheet metal into the shape of a regular key, but with
two prongs on the end as above.

Hope this is of use to someone,.....Dave Watts.