Peel Ply etc. Questions

Subject: Peel Ply etc. Questions
From: D.Howard@kid0110.wins.icl.co.uk
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 19:00:05

         Having just completed the fin I could do with some help and advice
         on the use of peel ply and general finishing layup techniques to
         ensure future components are a bit tidier.

         Q1. Should the glass on a second ply be cut shorter than the glass
         on the first ? The good book describes this for the first side of
         the fin (where several widths of peel ply will be applied) but no
         mention for the second side (where just 1 width of peel ply is to
         be used). Is there a general rule ?

         Q2. Once you've applied a layer of peel ply, what's the best way
         to wet it out given it's difficult to squeegy off excess resin
         especially on a curved leading edge.

         Q3. I've finished up with excess resin either side of the peel
         ply, is this a problem or can I simply sand it off at the
         finishing stage.

         Q4. My peel ply leaves odd blue strands within the layup which I
         can't remove. Is this a problem and should I get some less bitty
         peel ply.

         Any related tips gratefully received.

         Happy New Year

         - Dave Howard (#309)