Re: Anodising

Subject: Re: Anodising
From: Margaret & Dave Watson <dmw@querandi.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 13:42:35
Tony Renshaw wrote:
> I'd like to send away my metal components to a professional shop for
> anodising but believe the future  modifications required  before
> installation may negate the benefit. Is this a valid concern? If I do send
> them away, how do I adaquately clamp the pieces for drilling without
> destroying the finish, how do I treat the drill holes, i.e. the exposed
> metal within the hole

Don't worry about the holes, the amount of corrosion you will get in
thin sheet is about zero, but you must assemble all joints with zinc
chromate jointing compound (Duralac), that will definitely stop any
corrosion in the holes and around the bolts etc.

Why not drill all the holes in the peices before you send them off for
anodising? Or alternatively use the tried and test method of coating the
parts in zinc chromate primer, this can be obtained in aerosol cans.

Regards,
        Dave & Margaret Watson
        #224 G-CUTY (Tri-gear)