Re: GPS and appology

Subject: Re: GPS and appology
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <72770.552@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 18:12:29
 > Bob Nuckolls,
 >
 > We just read your excellent article in the November SPORT
 > AVIATION on GPS receivers.  You indicate the GPS 2000 handles
 > speeds to over 200 knots.  I was under the impression that the
 > boater's versions updated very slowly and weren't as accurate at
 > high speed.  At Kitfox speeds is this of much concern?  The
 > Lowrance Airmap sells for $900.   What appears to be a similar
 > Eagle AccuMap Sport sells for $600.  What's the difference?

 Mark replies:

 >>Not true.  The boaters versions update every bit as fast as the aircraft
 >>versions.  I'm not familiar with the AccuMap, but I have an AccuNav Sport
 >>($350) and though it doesn't have maps, it does have plotting and it works
 >>great!  I also have a King KLX135A GPS/COMM and if anything, my Eagle
 >>updates a little bit faster.  I think both have approx 1 second update
 >>rate.

        Mark

   Sorry about the "double post" on this item folks . . . I'd prepared
   a file for appending my comments and then sent it without finishing
   the job . . . a problem with working until 1 a.m.!!!

   I've had a lot of e-mail, snail mail and phone traffice about the article.
   I notice that many folk believe I'm recommending the GPS2000 as THE
   receiver to buy . . quite the contrary. The intent of the article was
   to open doors to all commers with low-end GPS products . . the GPS2000
   just happend to be the first one I found and tried.

   Early entries to the low-end GPS product line had some limitations for
   displayed speed (only two digits in the display) or software limitations
   that ASSUMED that nobody moving over 99 Kts would be interested in their
   product.  This technology and the commercial offerings are maturing
   VERY rapidly.  My suggestion is to check with your local marine and
   outdoor recreational product suppliers.  Pick ANY GPS product that
   looks like it might be useful in your airplane and then buy it with
   the proviso that you can return it for full refund if it doesn't work
   for you.

   If you're still building an airplane, forget the GPS shopping until
   you've been liberated from your limited flight test area and then
   go shoping.  From the time I wrote the article until now, the GPS
   2000 street price has droped $40.  When you do try out a cheapie,
   don't expect TOO much.  Yes, it may drop out for a minute or two
   after you execute a 90 degree turn pulling 2g's.  It might fuss
   about the number of satilites it can see if you don't figure out
   a way to hold it up behind the windshield, etc. etc.

   The point is that for a pitance in cash, you can probably put a
   piece of hardware in you flight bag that will provide navigation
   ability heretofore unheard of at 10 times the price.  If anyone
   finds something OTHER than the GPS2000 to be a useful cockpit
   accessory, post it here and please let me know about it too.
   This is where the "lists" can provide and exemplar service . . .
   spreading the word on what works and what doesn't work.

    Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection
                   ////