Re: Trailing Edge Closeouts

Subject: Re: Trailing Edge Closeouts
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 19:04:55
I find one of the most awkward types of layup is trailing edge closeouts, 45
degree BID which stretches if you look at it and converging sides which get in
the way. This is the way I do it, after much trial and error.

Cut the strips of BID using a circular knife, Olfa or similar, then layout
carefully on top of clingfilm on the bench. Wet out all three plies then carry
the whole lot to the wing or whatever,( the cling film stops it stretching,) and
work into place with your fingers, cling film out, of course. Carefully peel off
the cling film and stipple all the air bubbles out to the edges with a 1" brush.
Most paintbrushes are a bit too soft so it pays to shorten them to maybe 3/4"
long bristles.

I can guarantee that this is the easiest way to get nice neat 45 degree layups,
without too much excess resin and in half the time. The 1/8" extra at the edges
will also be wetted out properly so that when you trim back you have a good firm
edge.

Some people use baking foil instead of clingfilm. Either way is better than
struggling.

Graham