Check Out after Completion.

Subject: Check Out after Completion.
From: Bearder / Barraclough <106313.2726@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 09:44:13
To all FLYING Europa Owner,

My friends completed their Europa very early in the spring which has JUST
successfully flown its test program at Brunton/Wombleton after many months
of delay,  and now they are finding great difficulty in getting checked out
themselves.
They apparently need someone with 50 hours experience on type to give them
5 hours dual. This, I think, is an insurance requirement. In my limited
experience, only 13,000 hours, I would have thought landing experience
would be more appropriate rather than total time. They are both very
experinced light aeroplane aviators and have time on taildraggers.

Has anyone out there had similar problems and if so how did you get checked
out?

I am many months from completion and hope this will not be a problem when I
am ready with more experience around!

We feel there is a fear that the Europa will suffer the same early problems
that the Kitfox  went through with a bad accident record. I'm all in favour
of safety, but this check-out aspect seems to have been SOWN UP so tightly
by Europa/Insurers/PFA it makes flying your pride and joy after completion
almost impossible. That certainly will keep the accident record looking
good, NO FLYING - NO ACCIDENTS,  but is far from ideal.

We have all been made aware that the transition from ground to air and vice
versa is DIFFERENT and much guideance has been given so lets get some more
Europas airborne with the owners at the controls. We are hopefully all
responsible, careful pilots with our own interest at heart when it comes to
safety. Are we being perhaps a little OVER cautious.

David
Builder #13  (Lucky for some I hope!)