Nuckolls to join KAB

Subject: Nuckolls to join KAB
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <72770.552@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 23:14:26
Just before I left for CA last week, I told everyone that I might have an
announcement to make when I got back. Well . . .

When we shipped revision 6 to the AeroElectric Connection, I included the last
Hot Flash newsletter from the 'Connection. I told readers that we were going to
start a new, no nonsense, technorag called "TechTips for Amateur Airplane
Builders." The motiviation for this effort was driven by the fact that  our
favorite mags from years past seem to have forgotten  those who most need their
services!

TechTips was to become the periodical publishing arm of  Medicine River Press
replacing our not-so-periodical Hot Flash newsletters. Its charter was to carry
nothing but articles  on how to build and service airplanes.  No completion
articles,  no warbird restoration stories, etc.

I didn't NEED another project but there seemed to be a need for the product.  I
met last week with Charlie Coyne who is several issues into his own publishing
venture called Kit Aircraft Builder.  I've written several articles for Charlie
and we've exchanged a number of phone calls and e-mail letters. We came to an
agreement on, for lack of a better term, a  courtship of our respective efforts.
Here's the deal:

I'll join Charlie's staff as a regular contributing editor to KAB. My tasks for
each issue will include a feature article  and a column with technical tidbits
and question/answer service for readers.  In return, Charlie will help us
promote the AeroElectric Connection's publishing, parts services and weekend
seminars. Further, we may show up at a few more  shows sharing a booth. Neither
of us has to dig into not- so-deep pockets but we are fairly confident of
realizing  a good return on "sweat equity."

Those who are already subscribers to the AeroElectric Connection will get a
sample copy of KAB sometime around October 10. The mailing will include an
explanation of  plans for the book. Many folk have paid in advance for  future
updates which are still going to happen. In fact, having relieved myself of
mechanics of printing and  mailing a periodical, I can now concentrate on
filling out the book . . . it needs several more chapters and some serious
updating to the first 5 chapters.

If you're not an AEC subscriber, you might drop a line to Charlie at
102125,2540@compuserve.com and twist his arm for a sample issue of KAB.
Charlie, if you're listening, you might hop in here and introduce yourself and
add any appropriate comments.

The future of personally owned performance airplanes is with kit builders.
CBP&M are never going to be the kind of players they were back when 12,000+
airplanes a year were being built in Wichita alone.  It's important that we
bootstrap ourselves up to a level of competence  EXCEEDING anything that's been
done in the past. It can be accomplished with functioning networks for sharing
useful information. The 'net is one such vehicle. If Charlie and I do our jobs,
KAB and AEC will take up positions at the head of the pack in tech pubs arena.
We would welcome and appreciate your support; but most important, your critical
review.

Watch this space . . .

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection