Undercarriage dmaper.

Subject: Undercarriage dmaper.
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 14:11:06
Yesterday we flew Gk Whip with the second prototype undercarriage damper
installed. The first was tested by Pete Clarke a couple or three weeks ago and
pronounced worthwhile, although it didn't allow retraction. That test was enough
to encourage the team, mainly Roger Bull, I understand, to develop a more or
less production version. It took an hour to install then we went flying. Andy
flew first alone with the rest of us watching like hawks as he did a series of
landings. It looked good. Then our Leader got in and did a few, eventually
departing with Andy to do a few go rounds at Slingsby's grass strip,  finally
going over to Boonhill, which is bumpy and had a hefty crosswind, to do a few
more. I actually saw our Leader do a greaser in a monowheel on a very gusty
crosswind day. It never surprised me to see a go round on a normal day before.

The remarks over the radio were to say the least very pleasing.
Eventually I got in with Andy and did three landings. Very much easier to
handle, little tendency to bounce and the nervous nodding we have all come to
know when taxying our monowheels has gone. Roger Bull , with only a couple of
hours in the monowheel also had no problems.

Then, on something of a high, we fitted the Arplast electric VP prop and tested
that. Briefly it worked fine, we saw a 120 kt cruise at 1000 ft and 4000 rpm.
Climb rate at around 1250 lbs was 1000 fpm. We didn't go any higher because I
had a head cold and bunged up nose :-( A lot more testing to do yet, no spinner
was fitted etc.

Finally after a long day, (6AM start for me driving up) we went home and tested
a couple of bottles of nice antipodiean  wine.

Graham