Tribute to Pete Clarke

Subject: Tribute to Pete Clarke
From: europa aviation <europa@gate.net>
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 13:04:11
As the company email conduit currently resides here in Florida, and with a
holiday weekend in England and Ivan Shaw away in South Africa, it falls to
me to pay an initial tribute on behalf of Europa Aviation.

I have only known Pete since January 95 but had the opportunity of working
closely with, and living alongside him during the recent Sun 'n Fun show
where he impressed us all with his smooth display of what he termed "classic
aerobatics".

As company test pilot Pete made a thorough,  professional and impartial
evaluation of our  aircraft, he was always ready to pick up tools and
implement any modifications and his infectious enthusiasm for aerobatic
flying must have converted many a potential Europa builder.

Pete's career included working as a professional mechanic, racing driver and
owner of a successful Porsche dealership. I understand that the switch to
aviation came late in life but was then a revalation to him. He competed and
instructed in aerobatics as well as test and display flying for both
Slingsby and Europa Aviation.

Pete stayed on after the show and fulfilled a lifelong ambition, flying and
tailchasing in a locally based  Spitfire.

More than anyone I know, Pete Clarke lived life to the full and his sudden
loss has reminded me that we should all savour our lives and enjoy every day.

The following poem was written by John Magee,  a 19 year old Royal Canadian
Air Force Spitfire pilot who was killed in 1941.

                         High Flight.

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter's silvered wings.
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun split clouds, and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of, wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlight silence, hovering there
I've chased the shouting wind along and flung
My eager craft through footless holes of air.
Up up the long delirious burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark nor even eagle flew,
And while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.