Re: Builder's speed & fuselage support

Subject: Re: Builder's speed & fuselage support
From: Peter Davis <101621.3070@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 14:32:40
You do yourself an injustice. Builder No.20 (Ken Fraser) still has not finished
his tailplane. In his defence, he told me that he viewed it as a long term
project - and I think he was right!
Also he works too hard. He makes the occasional Strut meeting, but even then
with his mobile which invariably goes off half way through. He is a Vet, and so
I guess things can only get worse for him!

Vis. the fuselage support, there are many ways to do this. One person; Mike
Dolphin; used pallets successfully. Another; Ron Swinden; has a wheeled trolley,
and I rigged up a timber slab type arrangement pivoted around the fuselage C of
G to ensure that whether or not the fuselage was level, front to back, the
support was not tending to distort it (or that was the theory). At least it
means that I can wiggle the tail up and down without worrying that it is doing
odd things to the middle bit (whatever turns you on!).

So, I think that in answer to you question, the right approach is whatever gives
you peace of mind without too much expense.

One thing to remember though is that at some stage you will have to rig up the
undercarriage swinging arm and main wheel, and allowing for this in your initial
support design could avoid some aggro later on.

Regards,

Peter