Bye Bye CompuServe

Subject: Bye Bye CompuServe
From: Carl Pattinson <101362.1117@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 08:45:14
Dont know whether I am the only one but I've had enough of Compuserve. It takes
ages to come online (if I get on at all) with the constant string of messages
usually terminating in "winsock error" would you like more information (no I
bloody would'nt - I want it to work). Customer service is full of useful
suggestions which simply dont work and on the odd occasions when I do get
through these days the thing takes ages to download messages and often locks up
the system halfway through the session.
My computer at work does exactly the same so im certain its CompuServe -
presumably its oversubscribed and cant cope with the traffic.
I have now been trying AOL for a week and its a totally different story. Less
than 30 seconds to connect usually at the full 28.800 baud and the messages
download in seconds. The only problem I had initially was quickly sorted out by
a very helpful engineer over the phone. He spent about ten minutes checking out
my system thoroughly and after a few minor ajustments I was under way. No doubt
AOL will eventually fill up as compuserve members switch over to other providers
but for the time being its a good service.
BTW I have been unable to download any messages via Compu Serve for the last
week so if anyone has sent me a personal email then I wont have got it.
My new address is CPattinson@aol.com.
Am sending this last message in the hope it gets through otherwise I will have
to mail via AOL.
PS - AOL stands for America On Line (you all knew that) but there is a very good
service over here in UK and surprise surprise its actually cheaper
Give it a try.