RE: Fiberglass Smells

Subject: RE: Fiberglass Smells
From: tonyk@kaon.co.nz
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 23:57:57

>One of the things which slows my transition from a Europa wannabe to
builder
>is concern over smells.  We had a bathtub painted not too long ago and
my
>wife threatened legal action against me if I did anything to make that
>acetone smell a regular feature of our home.
>
>Level with me:  Does Europa building stink up the house?

I had the same concerns, not just because of smell but also because of
safety. I can't comment too much on the smell because I am awaiting the
arrival of my tail kit but I have visited a couple of builders and it
wasn't too bad - even without good ventilation in the room.

The following was recommended by my local health and safety officer.

1/      Install a fan to give you 20-30 air changes an hour.
2/      Use a good mask - the 3M 6000 series organics filter with
        5001 pre filter meets the requirements.

---From what I have seen of the other builders workshops, dust is the
biggest problem that you have to contend with and anything that can stop
that getting into the house would help.

Tony
Europa #272
Tony S Krzyzewski            Kaon Technologies Ltd
Reply to tonyk@kaon.co.nz    L7, 19 Victoria St West
Date: 13/03/96                 Auckland, New Zealand
Time: 10:57:57                 Ph +64 9 358 9124

http://www.kaon.co.nz/europa/europa.html