RE: re:comments

Subject: RE: re:comments
From: tonyk@kaon.co.nz
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 22:22:16

IN New Zealand we follow the EAA mentor system and builders have to join
the NZ Amateur Aircraft Constructors Association. Other than that there
is no other formal input. You (literally) put your life in your own
hands. Following build the CAA inspects the plane prior to test flying. I
have already contacted the NZAACA and found someone familiar with
composites. I also have someone a mere 20 minutes flight away who has
just unpacked his Europa kit so I am hoping that he will discover
problems beofre I do. The other NZ builders seem to be doing quite well
including a first time builder in Christchurch who has rented office
space to build his and is building full time! The only thing he finds
frustrating is that there are no defined tolerances so he has no way of
measuring whether he is building correctly.

Thanks for the feedback. It all helps.

Tony

> Tony,
>
>        In the UK all builders under the Popular Flying Authority
> wing must have an inspector to keep an eye on their project and
> sign off various stages of build. These inspectors are experienced
> builders/aviation professionals and are usually the first point of
> call for us 'first time' builders.  They can usually clarify
> instructions and details without you having to call the factory.
> In fact, you usually work it out yourself after reading through
> the manual a few times and doing a 'dry run' with the bits in your
> hand.
>
>        I have no idea if there is a similar setup in NZ, but the
> PFA Strut/EAA Chapter setup should be an invaluable first point of
> reference for the first time builder if inspectors are not
> mandatory.
>
>        You have to put a lot of effort and planning, as well as
> money and time, into building ANY plane, and I would suggest that
> someone who has not made contact with an inspector/experienced
> builder before they start has not thought through the implications
> of the project. Dont forget, we all have different abilities, and
> will more than likely sail through a section that someone else will
> have problems with, and then come to a stop later on, whilst others
> had no problems there at all. Thats when you ask your inspector...

Tony S Krzyzewski            Kaon Technologies Ltd
Reply to tonyk@kaon.co.nz    L7, 19 Victoria St West
Date: 21/02/96                 Auckland, New Zealand
Time: 09:22:16                 Ph +64 9 358 9127

The New Zealand Home of
ATM Ltd, NetManage Chameleon and Ecco, Spider/Shiva
Borderware, Banyan and SNMPc