Re: Bits 'n' Bobs

Subject: Re: Bits 'n' Bobs
From: Mike Cowgill <zeus@myth.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 00:42:33
Just some bits 'n' bobs that don't really justify separate messages:
Turbulator Tape:

It works by actually invoking turbulence. The turbulence is at a microscopic
level and is effectively minute vortices rolling across the surface. Because
it is regular and not chaotic it produces a nice smooth flow which is
effectively laminar (or approximates closely to it). I suspect it works best
at relatively low speeds because as the speed increases the energy (and the
size) in the vortices increases and they eventually become chaotic and
attempt to break away. Then again, if you are on an efficiency run, you won't
be thrashing along at high speed.

The basic thinking is that if you are going to get turbulent flow, invoke it
yourself and control it.

(I knew those postgrad non-linear systems lectures would be useful somewhere!)

Thoughts on Drag:

I know the drag force approximates to the square of the speed, but is
it linear or square function of the Cd? If it is a square function, then
messing around getting all those joints extra smooth and using exotic PTFE
coatings is almost certainly worth it. I calculate that a 1% reduction in
drag would give just over 2% improvement in max speed and economy. I don't
have any appropriate books here to check, so this may be totally erroneous.

To Cure or Not to Cure? (or at least related to it)

This may be suggested in the documents, but Maplin Electronics (and, no doubt
many other retailers) do digital thermometers/hygrometers with max/min
memories and are a very reasonable price. While you are curing epoxies etc.,
it might be useful to find out if it has been suscepted to any undue thermal
or humidity based environmental stress.

Mike

P.S. Any chance of a weekly or monthly electronic diary report for us Europa
     wannabees?