Rotax 912 cooling

Subject: Rotax 912 cooling
From: Ron Swinden <100776.2633@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 17:55:45
Thanks Graham I agree that the thermostat arrangement may only be periphial to
the issue that you were raising but the question I put has always bugged me so
was using your peg to hang my hat on. I always assumed that the reason for
specifying 100% oil (antifreze) was to enable the coolant to operate well above
100c without raising the pressure in the system thus enabling the heads to run
hotter than a normal water coooled engine. This is supported I think by the fact
that the book max temp is 150c so you were not ,strictly speaking, out of
limits. Adding water to the coolant will undoubtedly improve heat dissapation AT
A GIVEN TEMPERATURE but the dissapation rate is also a function of the
temperature differance so if the designer wanted his heads hot maybe 100% oil is
one way of doing it and the increased temp would tend to compensate for the
reduced unit conductivity?? Perhaps it is not too good to have too big a
difference between the hed and barrel temps??  I take it that your ref to a
"fail safe thermostat" means you would like it to fial wide open if at all, me
too but I am not sure that they are too common. RON S No 33  anyone out there
with answers please????