Fuel Gauges

Subject: Fuel Gauges
From: Allan Hall <100255.2004@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 18:21:02

>I have fitted a tank mounted Westach capacitance probe and fuel gauge
>instead. >I
>think that this arrangement is probably as light as a plastic tube full of
>(unuseable) fuel. Another useful feature of Westach probe is that it will
>>detect
>water in bottom of tank. Only downside is it costs more.

>Yes, my catalogue has that as $117.50 - with 2/3rds of the cost in the
>,sender! Any reason not to use the Mitchell brand at $69.15? Much heavier?
>Unreliable? Made of unobtainium? There's no weight given for Mitchell,
>against the 4oz of the Westach, and also it looks like they can't be
>internally illuminated.

>I assume the water detection capability would apply to any capacitance-type
sender.

I have no experience of Mitchell fuel gauges so can't comment, make sure sender
can be fitted to plastic tank and can be cut to length. You are right  that all
capacitance type gauges will detect water (but only if the bottom of sender is
below fuel outlet level, otherwise your engine will detect it first!)

The other point is that the sender and gauge work in a linear fashion, therefore
due to the shape of the Europa fuel tank (more capacity at top than bottom) the
graduations on the gauge will not correspond with the amout of fuel in the tank
at anything other than full and empty condition, best thing to do is recalibrate
the gauge against actual fuel in tank. This also applies to standard sight gauge
BTW.

Regards, Allan J Hall (#177)