Fuel gauge

Subject: Fuel gauge
From: Allan Hall <100255.2004@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 1995 17:50:47
When flying in rain, it may be possible to get a small amount of water entering
via the forward facing vent tube and finding its way to fuel tank, this could
collect undetected in tank until it reached the outlet.  I was thinking of
fitting a water trap with a drain in vent line to cover this possibility.

I don't like the fuel sight gauge arrangement provided as it is only accurate
when straight and level and if fuel valve is closed or line is restricted, the
pump will empty the sight gauge and then suck air.
I have fitted a tank mounted Westach capacitance probe and fuel gauge instead.
think that this arrangement is probably as light as a plastic tube full of
(unuseable) fuel. Another useful feature of Westach probe is that it will detect
water in bottom of tank. Only downside is it costs more.

Allan J Hall