Rotax 912 Water pump housing

Subject: Rotax 912 Water pump housing
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 20:02:01
When you get to the stage of mounting the engine (G:-) you will find it's
necessary to move at least two of the four water pipe outlet stubs. The manual
says warm them to soften the Loctight then rotate to the required position.
Problem is how to grip the soft aluminium tube without spoiling it.

This is what I did. From my local builders merchant I chose a Rawlbolt that
would just fit into the stub, after grinding the tapered end of the stud
slightly, then tightened it up and gripped the free end of the stud in my vice.
Plenty of heat is required to soften the Loctite but it does work. I made sure
didn't overheat the housing by holding it by hand and just heating the area
around the stub to be moved with a powerful hot air gun. As soon as the Loctite
softens the stub will turn quite easily. It seems to harden again as soon as it
cools. I understand it won't soften a second time.

Graham