Re: Europa-List: Fuselage weakness, or intentional ??

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuselage weakness, or intentional ??
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@mtecque.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 07:40:54

Tony,

I suspect that this an obsolete design feature from the old "classic"
Europa, that had the bagage bay bulkhead at that position. When bonding
component together, you don't want a foam core at the bond-site - hence
the triangle (compare the angle of the foam with the angle of the
bulkhead). When the classic was developed into the XS and the bulkhead
moved back, this was never changed.

It does not constitute a weak point and I would not worry about it.
Adding more material will only add more weight.

Nigel

On 06/10/2013 06:07, Tony Renshaw wrote:
> Gidday,
> Whilst working around in the lower fuse it has concerned me that my fuselage
has what appears to be an intentional absence of core material such that an
obvious
weakness exists in the fuselage directly above the penetrations for the
flap drive cross tube. Has anyone externally reinforced this area, by adding
core
material and strapping it in place, encapsulating it, and resulting in a
conventional
sandwich construction concept?