RE: Europa-List: Smooth Prime

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Smooth Prime
From: Duncan & Ami <amimcfadyean@talktalk.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 22:39:34

Fred,
I had a dehumidifier that ran in the workshop more or less constantly. RH
was always below 50%.
All normal precautions taken with the Smooth Prime, plus roller-applied and
ensuring that it was never wet-sanded.
In my view, the talc content is too high (which makes it easy to sand and
smooth to the touch), but adds weight and absorbs water.
Anyway, most of the Smooth Prime was sanded off; I only bought one pot and
it was used primarily to get rid of pin holes and (by coincidence not
design) most areas had an aerospace quality epoxy primer applied on top,
which  was less expensive too and in future I'll use that. Pity I bought-in
to the Polyfiber hype about pinhole filling; it wasn't any better at that
anyway (if applied with a roller).
Oh well, refinishing the 'plane will give me something to do in retirement!

Rgds.,
Duncan.